The end of the school year us just around the corner for us (preschool runs until the end of June here). To finish off the year I thought it would be fun to do a post about our top 5 favorite picture books we used this year. Without further ado...
1) PETE THE CAT: I LOVE MY WHITE SHOES was a real winner for us. The simplicity of the language, the repetitive story structure, and the "song" within the story made this probably the kids' favorite. I brought it back a few different times and each time they sang and danced along with this "cool cat." Next year, I'll probably add PETE THE CAT and MY GROOVY BUTTONS to my line-up.
2) QUIET LOUD. This one has great read-aloud-ability, a character that makes kids laugh and simple language that is perfect for a beginning ESL class. It does leave my hoarse each time I read it though, so beware.
3) SHH! WE HAVE A PLAN - I LOVE this book! It's one of my favorites in or outside the classroom. Kids love it too! What I love about this book in the ESL classroom is that it really gets students involved as they count 1, 2, 3, Go!
4) THE VERY HUNGRY CATERPILLAR - This is one of those perennial favorites that people love internationally. But it's a favorite with good reason. Every ESL teacher should have this one in the library.
5) POLAR BEAR'S UNDERWEAR - This book has such a cute concept. It works well in the ESL classroom because students will start calling out their animal guesses as soon as they get the gist of the story.
In addition to being a writer, I have about the best job in the world. I teach 3-6 year olds English in an Italian preschool. I LOVE using picture books in my ESL lessons as introductions to my daily topics, and just because kids love books. My goal with this blog isn't to highlight the most "of-the-moment" picture books, but rather to present books that work well for ESL learners and that are accessible to teachers living all around the world. If you're an ESL teacher who loves books, then this blog is for you.